Welcome to the Mornin' SunShine blog!

This blog was set up as a way to send out the Mornin' SunShine e-mail devotionals. For older archives, more information, or to subscribe to Mornin' SunShine, please visit the Mornin' SunShine website at: http://www.psalm686.com/MorninSunShine
May the Lord bless you and yours richly with His grace and joy!

Monday, September 9, 2013

Psalm 143:12

Happy Monday, everyone!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Psalm 143:12
"And in Your steadfast love You will cut off my enemies, and You will destroy all the adversaries of my soul, for I am Your servant."
So, unless your life is wildly different from mine, I would guess that none of us have people who are such enemies that they are actually hunting us down to kill us like David had. However, I still read this verse and think, "What a beautiful, wonderful, terrifying promise this is!"
Since my main "enemy" is actually my own sinful flesh, and the "adversaries of my soul" are mostly my own sinful desires and attitudes and addictions and thoughts or ways of thinking, this verse points to the destruction of all things "me" (that is, "the old man" or "the flesh", according to Bible terms). It is the absolutely necessary crucifixion of self that must happen in my life.
See, there is a crazy beauty in destruction when Jesus is the one tearing things down and throwing them out. When I want Him more than anything, I long for His fire, His "wrecking ball", His "bulldozer" to be brought to bear on my life and destroy everything that is not purely Him! There is such a sweet finality in that word "destroy". When something is destroyed, it's done, finished, game over. When He destroys those things that pull me away from Him, whether it's sin or a simple distraction, I am "set free indeed"! (John 8:36) And best of all is the knowledge that this destruction is motivated by His steadfast love for me!!
Father, I will not fear the destruction You bring, knowing that Your love for me is greater than anything I can imagine. And I want You more than anything else! So destroy those things in my life that would keep from growing ever close to You--I am Yours!

Dancing in the rain,
Haley "SunShine" Miller
"Exhort one another daily while it is called 'Today'" (Hebrews 3:13)
Mornin' SunShine Website
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this e-mail was forwarded to you and you would like to receive the Mornin' SunShine e-mails on a regular basis yourself, you can e-mail me at mornin_sunshine@psalm686.com with "subscribe" in the subject line. If you would like to unsubscribe, just e-mail me at the address above with "unsubscribe" in the subject line and I will take you off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment