Welcome to the Mornin' SunShine blog!

This blog was set up as a way to send out the Mornin' SunShine e-mail devotionals. For older archives, more information, or to subscribe to Mornin' SunShine, please visit the Mornin' SunShine website at: http://www.psalm686.com/MorninSunShine
May the Lord bless you and yours richly with His grace and joy!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Matthew 5:2-3

Good morning, everyone!

The Beattitudes (Matthew 5:3-12) are one of those passages in the Bible where it is really easy for me to just sort of go into autopilot mode and almost tune it out. They are so familiar, it doesn't matter how long I go without even thinking of them, I can still quote them at the drop of a hat. However, recently my boss was reading the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) out loud to us during our morning worship time at work. As I caught myself "checking out" for that first part, I prayed, "Jesus, what do you want me to learn from these verses that are so familiar?"
He replied, "You want to know what My will is? You want to know how to live out this crucified life you are called to live? Here it is, in black and white, spelled out for you!"
Then as I went through each Beattitude, He gave me deeper, more "fleshed out" meanings for each one. So, we're going to have a little mini-series for the next little while as we go through the 8 Beattitudes. :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Matthew 5:2-3
And He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

"Poor in spirit"--a recognition of the reality that I have nothing and am nothing without Jesus. This one can be hard, because there are times when I really want to be "good enough" in some ways. I want to think I can "do it myself", very much like a toddler trying to assert their own false sense of independence. But the reality is, I can't. And I am not "good enough" on my own!
But here's the cool thing--when it says "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven", it doesn't just mean "somewhere out there in eternity". Yes, Jesus gives us eternal life when we put our trust in Him. But He also gives us abundant life, the kingdom of heaven here on earth!! He gives us Himself--His righteousness, His strength, His love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control! 2 Peter 1:3-4 tells us that He "has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness". He gives us everything we need to live and live in such a way that honors and glorifies Him.
Without Jesus, I am nothing. I have nothing. But with Jesus, in Him, I have everything!! Now how amazing is that?!

Father, thank You that I'm not good enough on my own, because if I were I would never know the depth or the glory or the riches of all that You so freely give! You amaze me!

Dancing in the rain,
Haley "SunShine" Miller
"Exhort one another daily while it is called 'Today'" (Hebrews 3:13)
Mornin' SunShine Website
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this e-mail was forwarded to you and you would like to receive the Mornin' SunShine e-mails on a regular basis yourself, you can e-mail me at mornin_sunshine@psalm686.com with "subscribe" in the subject line. If you would like to unsubscribe, just e-mail me at the address above with "unsubscribe" in the subject line and I will take you off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment