Welcome to the Mornin' SunShine blog!

This blog was set up as a way to send out the Mornin' SunShine e-mail devotionals. For older archives, more information, or to subscribe to Mornin' SunShine, please visit the Mornin' SunShine website at: http://www.psalm686.com/MorninSunShine
May the Lord bless you and yours richly with His grace and joy!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Judges 1:1-3

Good afternoon, everybody! :)


Judges 1:1-3
Now after the death of Joshua it came to pass that the children of Israel asked the LORD, saying, "Who shall be first to go up for us against the Canaanites to fight against them?" And the LORD said, "Judah shall go up. Indeed I have delivered the land into his hand." So Judah said to Simeon his brother, "Come up with me to my allotted territory, that we may fight against the Canaanites; and I will likewise go with you to your allotted territory." And Simeon went with him.

These verses first caught my attention because of the meaning of the name "Judah". Judah means "celebrated", it comes from a root word meaning to revere or worship (with extended hands). I thought it interesting that the Lord would decree that "worship" should lead the way to conquering the land. Then Judah enlists the aid of Simeon, so I had to go look up that name, too. Simeon means "hearing", and its root word means to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.). These two together--worship and hearing--are anointed by God to lead Israel to victory over the Canaanites. And in our lives today, our victory will be found when we turn our eyes and ears to worshipping the Lord and listening to--and obeying--His word.

Father, help me to keep my eyes on You and my ears open to Your voice; only as I worship You will I have victory in my life!


May the Lord richly bless you with victory as you worship Him and heed His word!

Dancing in the rain,
Haley "SunShine" Miller
"Exhort one another daily while it is called 'Today'" (Hebrews 3:13)
Mornin' SunShine Website

No comments:

Post a Comment